These superfood ingredients may not seem like an obvious mix to serve with toast but the slight bitterness of the kale and earthy flavour of the roasted garlic works really well with the natural sweetness of the blackberries, balsamic vinegar and molasses. Serve as a light lunch or casual starter.
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 30 minutes
For the pancakes:
- 1 large fresh garlic bulb
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 slices sour dough bread, halved
- 75g/3oz shredded kale, rinsed well with cold water, drained
- 100g/4oz blackberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses, optional
- 25g/1oz toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Sea salt flakes and coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas mark 5. Put the whole unpeeled garlic on to a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil then wrap in the foil to enclose completely. Cook on a baking sheet for about 20-25 minutes or until it feels soft when squeezed.
- Unwrap the garlic, separate into cloves then peel away the skins, finely chop the soft creamy garlic flesh to a rough paste or blitz in a food processor. Spoon into a small bowl.
- Preheat a ridged frying pan, brush one side of all the pieces of bread with a little oil then toast in the hot pan, oiled side downwards for 2 minutes or until browned. Brush the tops with a little more oil then turn over and cook the second side. Wrap in a clean teacloth and keep hot.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the rinsed kale to the dry pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to wilt. The water clinging to the kale will be enough to keep it from sticking. Add the blackberries, balsamic vinegar, pomegranate molasses, if using and cook for 1 minute.
- Spread the garlic puree over the griddled bread then top with the kale and blackberry mix and sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts, salt flakes and pepper. Serve immediately.
Double up and cook 2 garlic bulbs then keep the rest in a screw topped jar in the fridge up to 1 week. Delicious added to stir fries, stews or soups.