Fruit is often forgotten when you think of savoury meals, but it can be a delicious way to sweeten your main course, balance flavours and incorporate variety to your diet, all of which may help with your nutrition.
Pairing the strawberry salad with quinoa offers some good quality protein and is especially important for those who eat plant-based. Wholegrains typically provide fibre, B vitamins and folic acid, essential fatty acids (omega 3 fats), protein, antioxidants including vitamin E, selenium and micronutrients like copper and magnesium. The addition of almonds and avocado also ensure you are getting some healthy fats as part of this meal, which we all need more of in our diet.
- 1 handful of spinach
- 90g quinoa
- 4 large strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp almonds
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- For the dressing:
- 6 large strawberries
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white balsamic or apple cider vinegar
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, blend the dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, drain it and add to a bowl with the spinach, almonds, strawberries, red onion and avocado.
- Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!