Need an energy boost at work? Take a couple of these bars wrapped in foil to keep you going.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25-30 minutes
150g (5oz) blueberries
1 level tablespoon cornflour
75g (3oz) mixed sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds
175g (6oz) porridge oats
150g (5oz) block margarine or butter
75g (3oz) light muscovado sugar
2 level tablespoons golden syrup
75g (3oz) wholemeal plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas Mark 4. Lightly brush the base and sides of a shallow 20cm (8inch) cake tin and line the base with a square of non-stick baking paper the same size.
- Put the blueberries in a bowl, sprinkle over the cornflour and gently mix with a spoon until the blueberries are evenly coated.
- Add the seeds to a plastic bag, seal the end of the bag then bash with a rolling pin until the larger seeds are crushed. (Or leave them whole if you’d rather). Scoop out 3 tablespoons and put into a bowl with 3 tablespoons of the oats and save for the topping.
- Add the margarine or butter, the sugar and the golden syrup to a saucepan and cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until the margarine or butter has melted.
- Take the saucepan off the heat. Tip the seeds from the plastic bag and the rest of the oats into the pan along with the flour and mix together well.
- Spoon about two thirds of the oat mixture into the paper lined tin and spread flat with a round bladed knife. Sprinkle the blueberries on top then dot small spoonfuls of the rest of the oat mix on top to make an even layer with a few of the blueberries still showing. Sprinkle with the saved seeds and oats.