Gorey blood and bones make a great addition to any Halloween setting!
Makes approx 30 small bones. Prep time 20 minutes. Cook time 12-15 minutes.
For the shortbread bones:
175g flour, plus extra for dusting
For the blood compote:
100g strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- Line 2 baking trays with silicon sheets or parchment.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until soft and smooth. Gradually work in the flour to a stiff dough. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick. Use the bone shaped cutters to cut bones, re-rolling and cutting any unused dough.
- Place the bones on the baking sheets and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170Cfan/gas mark 5 and bake the bones for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- For the blood, gently warm the raspberries and strawberries with the honey until soft and juicy, then boil for about 2 minutes until sticky. You can serve the blood like this or push through a sieve discarding the pips to make it smooth. Serve the bones with the blood for dipping.
The bones will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.