This works equally well with raspberries and makes a fab snack or pudding!
Serves 8 Prep time 15 minutes Cook time 20-25 minutes
V, make it vegan with golden syrup instead of honey
- 50g coconut oil
- 50g vegetable margarine
- 60g honey
- 2 tbsp coconut or brown sugar
- 200g oats
- 50g flour (plain or self raising)
- 250g blackberries, halved if large
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4. Line a 34cmx11cm or 20cmx20cm baking tin with parchment. If you have a loose based tin that is helpful.
- In a pan melt together the coconut oil, margarine, honey and sugar. Stir in the oats and flour. Press around two thirds of the mixture into the tin, firming it down and smoothing the top.
- Scatter over the blackberries then spoon the remaining oat mixture over the top leaving it loose and rough – it doesn’t matter if you can still see the blackberries. Sprinkle with the coconut if using.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and the blackberries are oozing. Leave in the tin to cool slightly before serving warm in slices.
If you prefer use all coconut oil or all margarine. You can also just use oats if you don’t have flour though the mixture may be more crumbly.